Thursday, October 29, 2009

Ordinary People Who Achieve Extraordinary Success

What would successful people say if asked, “Would you like to have your story written in book about you and your extraordinary accomplishments?”

Some might respond with “A book about me? Why me? What would it be about? Who would be interested in reading about me?”

But they could be thinking, “Wow, that would really be exciting! Getting a chance to tell the world what I know, what I’ve done, and how I’ve done it. My story could help a lot of young people in my industry. My story could be an opportunity to begin to establish my legacy, my impact on business, my profession, or my community. Hmmm…tell me some more.”

Many people consider themselves “ordinary” even after they have achieved the extraordinary. Successful people know at some level that they have accomplished more than most others and they are proud of it even though they may consider themselves to be just like everyone else.

I’ve now written four books in my Values in America series. (I’m on my way to a dozen…it’s my personal twelve-step program.) The last two books have been real-life stories about one of the world’s greatest jet fighter pilots (Lieutenant Commander Scott Beare, USN, retired) and a world-class winemaker (Bill Williamson). I believe these stories are inspirational with important lessons about personal values and values-based business decisions.

I want to continue writing true stories about ordinary people who have achieved extraordinary success. There are certainly individuals out there who deserve to have their stories told. These people don’t have to be famous like Bill Gates or Steve Jobs. There are plenty of “next tier successes” whose story could be told in an easy-to-read and entertaining style.

My guess is you already know someone who would like his or her story told in a book that could be a gift to family and friends and possibly sold to large audiences through Amazon and other outlets. If you do know someone who has achieved extraordinary success--someone whose inspiring story you believe needs to be told--send me his or her contact information. Thanks!

1 comment:

Scott Lochridge and Jennifer Rosenzweig said...

Ken, I continue to think this is a great way to convey what it means to live a values-driven life. We are tribal in nature, and therefore need to rely on our story tellers. All the data and statistics are fine, but it is our stories that help us understand who we are.